The Salt Lake City Transportation Division is currently seeking volunteers for the 2014 SLC Bike Count!
What’s a Bike Count?
Since 2010, Salt Lake City has participated in the National Bicycle/Pedestrian Documentation Project to track the number of bicyclists throughout the city.
Volunteers assist the City in recording the number of bicyclists at key intersections. By gathering consistent data from year to year, it is our intention to provide better information about how bicycle use is changing and growing in our community. Your participation in this project assists our efforts to improve the transportation infrastructure, making streets safer for both motor vehicle operators and bicycling alike.
Since the inception of this project, we have witnessed an increase in overall bicycle traffic. With your support, it is our vision to create a community where bicycling is safe, comfortable and convenient for everyone.
What will the 2014 data show us? Have recent infrastructure improvements continued to spur the growth of bicycling in Salt Lake City? Will the percentage of female bicyclists change as we add more protected bike infrastructure? Help us find out!
When is it?
- September 9 – 11 (Tuesday through Thursday)
5 – 7 p.m.
- September 13 – 14 (Saturday and Sunday)
Noon – 2 p.m.
The 2014 count locations are listed below, along with a link to a map.
How can I help?
Volunteers are needed to fill either 1 or 2 hours shifts manually counting the number of bicyclists riding through specific intersections during “peak hours” throughout SLC. Each count location is staffed by only one volunteer for each time slot; please do be sure you can commit to count when you sign up.
Sign up now! Your help is greatly appreciated.
Initial volunteer sign-up is open through this Sunday, August 24th. We will do an initial schedule that week, and will then look for volunteers to help fill any remaining shifts.
Contact Weston Jenson, the 2014 Bike Count Coordinator at BikeCount@slcgov.com or (801) 535-6112 (Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays from noon to 6 p.m.)
Volunteers are very welcome to sign up for more than one location and time slot. Thank you!
Downtown / Sugar House Flats
- Main St. @ 200 S.
- 800 E. @ 800 S.
- Main St. @ 1300 S.
- 2100 S. @ Highland Dr. (1100 E.)
- Sugar House Greenway (approx. 2240 S.) @ 600 E.
Sunnyside / Foothill
- Sunnyside Ave. @ Guardsman Way.
- Sunnyside Ave. @ Arapeen Dr. (approx 2250 E.)
- Parley’s Crossing (Foothill Dr. @ 2300 S.)
- University St. @ 200 S.
- University St. @ South Campus Dr.
- 100 S. @ Wolcott St.
- South Campus Dr. @ Mario Capecchi Dr.
- OSH @ Kendall D. Garff Building
West Side / Beck St.
- Beck St. @ Chicago St. (approx. 1800 N.)
- North Temple @ Redwood Rd. (1700 W.)
- Jordan River Trail @ Indiana Ave. (approx. 800 S. & 1100 W.)
- 1700 S. @ 900 W.
- 600 N. @ 900 W.
- 1700 S. @ Redwood Road (1700 W.)