The Utah Recycling Alliance (URA), is pleased to announce the Fourth Annual America Recycles Day Zero Waste Awards and Film Screening on Thursday, November 13th, 2014 at Brewvies Cinema Pub (677 South 200 West, SLC, UT). We will be recognizing local businesses, non-profits and government agencies which have set the standards for zero waste in the Salt Lake Valley. The evening will kick off with a presentation of Zero Waste Awards by EPA Region 8 Director Shaun McGrath. Following the awards ceremony, attendees will be invited to a screening of “Dive”. A $5 admission includes one drink ticket, two raffle tickets, the awards ceremony, movie screening and an evening of Zero Waste revelry. Food available for purchase. All proceeds from the event will go to the Utah Recycling Alliance. Become a member of URA and receive free entrance ($25 annual membership fee).
Event Sponsors include: Ace Recycling and Disposal, Interwest Paper, Momentum Recycling, Rocky Mountain Recycling, Salt Lake City Corporation, and Uinta Brewing.
Date: Thursday, November 13th, 2014
Location: Brewvies Cinema Pub – 677 South 200 West, Salt Lake City
Schedule of Events:
6:00 p.m. – Purchase ticket, grab a drink and mingle
6:45 p.m. – Raffle followed by awards ceremony. Raffle items include tickets to Alta, gift certificates to some of our favorite local restaurants and more!
7:00 p.m. – “Dive” film screening
Nominate your Organization for a Zero Waste Award
Please submit a one page description of how your organization handles its waste, answering any specific questions listed under the award description. The more convincing facts and evidence you provide to back up your claims the better. Tell us what your waste stream consists of. How do you divert materials? Have you made changes to purchasing practices to impact the waste you produce? Did you come up with some creative ways to use or reuse materials which reduces the waste you send to the landfill? Who are your end users (where do your materials go)? Please present evidence documenting your diversion rate using weight or volume measurements. Tell us why you deserve this award.
Include the following with your submission:
- Organization name:
- Contact person at organization:
- Which award you would like to be considered for: Zero Waste or PDC, Zero to Zero, Innovate Path to Zero Award.
- Zero Waste or PDC (Pretty Darn Close) – This award is presented to an organization or business which has achieved a 90% or above diversion rate. Documentation is key for this one.
- Zero to Zero – This award is presented to the organization or business which has made the most progress over the last year or so. If you didn’t have a recycling program in place (not even collecting aluminum cans for the Boy Scouts) and have since started an exemplary recycling program, this award could be for you. Tell us where you started and what you have achieved. We don’t expect you to be at Zero Waste but moving in that direction.
- Innovative Path to Zero – This award is presented to the organization which is actively moving towards zero waste, and has taken an innovative approach in repurposing materials, or has uncovered unique end-users for a particular waste stream.
A panel of independent judges will evaluate each of the entries and determine the award recipients.
All submissions must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org by October 30th, 2014.