1. Because Christmas and New Year’s Day are both on Sundays this year, there will be no change to our regular curbside collection schedule.
However, please take note of the six-week suspension of compost can collection from January 23-March 10, as well as our guidelines for tree disposal.
2. Holiday Tree Disposal
Holiday trees are collected in the brown compost can through the third week of January.
- Please cut the tree down to fit all the way in the can.
- If you have a very large tree, place it on the curb no later than your collection day the week of Monday, January 16.
- Please remove all lights and trimmings.
- No flocked trees- the trees are taken to the composting facility and artificial materials cannot be processed.
3. Winter Yard Waste Bin Suspension
In an effort to reduce our impact on the environment and improve air quality, Salt Lake City Waste and Recycling modifies its winter service schedule while still collecting as much valuable green waste as possible for composting.
The brown compost can will not be collected Monday, January 23 to Friday, March 10. Demand for yard waste collection is low during this period, and suspending services will result in:
- An estimated fuel savings of 5,234 gallons
- The elimination of 856 pounds of criteria air pollutants and over 117,600 pounds of CO2- equivalent.
- A reduction in greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to removing 13 passenger vehicles from the road for an entire year.
Yard waste bin collection will start back up the week of Monday March 13, 2017.
If you have remaining autumn yard waste to dispose of, please call Waste and Recycling as soon as possible to request an extra leaves-only can so you can dispose of them before the suspension.
For more information on all of your waste and recycling services, please visit us at SLCgreen.com. You can reach us at 801-535-6999 or email@example.com
Thank you and happy festive season to all!