Salt Lake City’s Sustainability Department (otherwise known as Salt Lake City Green) is looking for a talented, motivated individual to fill a vacancy in the Sustainability Communications Manager position.
The Communications Manager works to:
- Showcase Salt Lake City’s leadership on climate action, renewable energy, energy efficiency, recycling and waste diversion, alternative transportation, air quality emissions reduction, creating a strong local food system and supporting businesses in sustainable upgrades.
- Educate and empower residents on the small changes they can make in their daily lives to reduce their impact on the environment and have a positive impact on their community.
- Collaborate with other governments, non-profits and businesses to provide education to residents on sustainability issues.
The Communications Manager oversees all aspects of SLCgreen outreach including:
- Strategic communications
- SLCgreen electronic communications, including website, social media, blog and weekly e-newsletter
- Media relations, in close coordination with the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Office, including press releases and media events
- Community and stakeholder engagement, including community event schedule
- Intern program management
- Outreach material management & design (Adobe Design Suite)
- Event management and promotion
- Representing SLCgreen at various speaking engagements
Tip: Take a look at the 2015 State of Sustainability Report’s Communications section (page nine) to better understand the scope of SLCgreen outreach and communications efforts to date.
|Position:||SUSTAINABILITY PROGRAM MANAGER|
|Salary:||(028) $25.07 – $34.24|
A ten year personal, criminal and employment background check is required by the Salt Lake City Public Services Department.
Description: Plans, develops and implements sustainability policies and programs. Administers sustainability programs such as e2 Business Program, e2 Citizen, Smart Trips, Clear the Air, and Idle Free. Responsible for gathering data from city departments and partner organizations to track and report city and community accomplishments related to carbon reduction, energy conservation, waste diversion and recycling and increased participation in sustainable programs and behaviors. Supervises, makes work assignments and provides specific direction to assigned staff, including Sustainability Coordinators and designated interns.
Develops and implements sustainability outreach strategies and marketing campaigns to educate residents, businesses and employees about the City’s sustainability programs and policies. Provides written and oral presentations to local, national and governmental groups. Addresses community councils, city council, local groups, schools and other interested parties. Seeks opportunities to promote City’s sustainability programs in the community. Promotes SLCgreen via social media including Facebook, Twitter, SLCgreen blog, and the SLCgreen website. Collaborates on scheduling of division’s participation at community events.
Responds to media requests, citizen concerns and questions. Manages contracts and provides direction for consultants. Approves payment for services. Represents City on community steering committees, and in meetings with private, non-profit and governmental agencies. Works in partnership with state agencies, Salt Lake County, non-profit and business groups to advance Salt Lake City’s sustainability agenda. Recommends annual budget for professional services and outreach materials. Monitors expenditures with regard to adopted budget. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, public administration, communications or related field and four years experience serving in a full-time, paid position in sustainability, environmental compliance, policy or program implementation. A Master’s degree may be substituted for up to two years of related experience required.
- Knowledge of current trends in sustainability issues related to climate change, air quality, energy, transportation, food security, waste and recycling.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with individuals of varied backgrounds. Ability to organize work and gain support of employees, external customers and other stakeholders.
Interested? Apply at SLCgov.com.