Salt Lake City’s Sustainability Department is seeking an intern for the Waste and Recycling Division to assist with a comprehensive analysis of its bulk waste collection program that leads to a policy recommendation. This position is available for 500 hours at a rate of $15 per hour. Work hours are flexible.
This position is an ideal opportunity for a student or graduate in public policy or administration or a related field to be involved in a project that encompasses sustainability, public policy, regulation, municipal operations, budgeting and planning, and public engagement processes. The person in this position will work closely with budget, administrative, policy, and operational staff and will have exposure to various City offices and functions that may lead to other employment opportunities.
Scope of Work
The City has ambitious waste reduction and recycling goals and hopes to achieve zero-waste by 2040. The City is seeking innovative and creative ideas for improving the program that result in more recycling and materials recovery while also making the program more cost-effective and convenient.
This position will work closely with the Waste and Recycling Division Director and operations staff to develop a comprehensive proposal for an alternative program and be responsible for:
- Collecting operational and cost data on bulk waste collection used by municipalities around the country;
- evaluating those methods for convenience, cost, and materials recovery;
- preparing scenarios for alternative methods that meet the City’s goals;
- outlining potential implementation plans; and
- recommending public outreach and education strategies.
The City is looking for someone who is excited to dig deep into topics, likes to distill research into actionable ideas, and can make a persuasive case for change that is backed up with qualitative and quantitative data. This position requires someone who is highly self-motivated, curious, and is able to work independently as well as on a team. This position will have great latitude to shape the final product and be involved with presenting information to policy makers and the public.
Specific skills are:
- Knowledge of statistical methods
- Proficiency in Excel or other data analytics tools
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with writing proposals
Lorna Vogt, Waste and Recycling Division Director
Email inquiries only
SmartTrips Intern – Salt Lake City Division of Sustainability
SLCgreen is recruiting a summer intern team for the SmartTrips program!
SmartTrips Salt Lake City is a neighborhood-based program that encourages active and public transportation through collaborative community events, educational newsletters and free kits delivered by bicycle.
SmartTrips is modeled after similar efforts in Portland, Oregon and other communities, which have all successfully reduced vehicle trips and emissions among participants.
This year SmartTrips is visiting Sugar House and the neighborhoods along the recently launched S-Line streetcar. Learn more here: www.smarttripsslc.com.
Intern Learning Opportunities
Enjoy getting to know your neighborhood by bicycle? Want to support and work with local businesses to incentivize their customers to leave their cars at home? Looking for an outlet to write about air quality? Like collaborating with schools, libraries and local organizations on environmental education?
The opportunities for interns to get involved are many! We invite you to bring your own interests, skills and ideas to our team.
- Ideal candidates are passionate and knowledgeable about alternative transportation, sustainability, community organizing, and/or the Sugar House area.
- We ask for a 15-25 hour per week commitment from May to August 2014. Know that there is opportunity to start as early as April or extend through September.
- Be flexible to attend some SmartTrips events and bicycle deliveries that may occur in the evening and on weekends.
- Visit www.slcgov.com/jobs and “click here” for Current City Job Openings.
- Follow the directions to apply for the Mayor’s Office “Voluntary Intern” listing (Bid #12002).
- In your application, please be sure to specify your interest in interning with SLCgreen’s SmartTrips program.
** Please note that this is a volunteer, unpaid internship.
Questions? Please contact SmartTrips Coordinator, Sara Rose, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SLCgreen crew is looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our 2014 intern staff!
Please note that is a seasonal PAID position for 20-25 hours a week.
Review the job description below and email your resume to email@example.com by Friday, March 14th for consideration.
Job Title: SUSTAINABILITY INTERN
Job Code Number: 330066
EEO CODE: 6
Pay Level: SEAX
- Assists with SLC Green internship program, including development of intern orientation and serving as a resource for intern projects. Ensures advancement of intern projects through collaboration with interns and full-time office staff.
- Coordinates public outreach at community events to promote sustainability initiatives. This includes applying for booth space and scheduling interns to staff these events.
- Organizes and keeps up to date log of outreach and education materials. Requests print bids for projects and submits print orders. Contacts government agencies to obtain outreach materials.
- Updates sustainability information and events on the city’s website; responds to resident and business inquiries to sustainability programs; administers sustainability email list serves.
- Develops and coordinates the SmartTrips program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.