Exchange your old empty 2.5 or 5 gallon gas can for a free, brand new, environmentally friendly can of equal size!
UCAIR and Chevron are exchanging over 4,500 gas cans. That’s equivalent to eliminating 540 cars off Utah’s roads per day over the 5-year life of each gas can. Making this small change can have large impact on our air quality. Together we can make a difference in Utah’s air quality.
The Gas Can Exchange Program will be the first of its kind in Utah and help our state come into compliance with the EPA standard.
The event will be held on April 11, 2015 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the following locations:
- 2100 S. 300 W., Salt Lake City, Chevron Station
- 1997 E. 3500 N., Layton, Davis Landfill
- 1855 Skyline Dr., South Ogden, Chevron Station
- 1200 Towne Center Blvd., Provo Towne Center Mall
Why exchange your old can? Old gas cans contribute to volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions by:
- Permeation of vapors through walls of containers.
- Escaping fumes while fuel is being dispensed.
- Spillage and over filling as fuel is being poured into equipment.
- Spillage and evaporation through secondary vent holes.
- Evaporation through inadequately capped spouts.
The new cans have several improvements including:
- Automatic shut-off feature to prevent overfilling.
- Automatic closing feature.
- Sealed when it is not in use.
- Prevents leaking vapors.
- Protects children from accidental spills and ingestion.
- Secondary venting holes are eliminated to stop venting of fumes into the air.
- Thicker walls to reduce vapor permeation.
Please contact Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the gas can exchange.