In the fall, when autumn brings a chill to the air, and Salt Lake’s oaks and elms and other deciduous trees drop their leaves, many of us turn on the blowers, haul out the rakes, and get ready for some serious work.
But—have you considered an alternative? Using some or all of your leaves to mulch your yard or garden? Read more
Look for these signs on Salt Lake City street sweepers this fall
This fall, Salt Lake City is reminding residents to please keep their street gutters clear of leaves and debris.
Our street sweepers are hard at work, but they need your help! By clearing your street gutter of leaves and debris, you will help prevent stormwater drains from clogging, which can result in street flooding, protect water quality and minimize the burden on the sewer system from surface debris.
Salt Lake City residents can also request an extra can for leaves by calling (801) 535-6999 or emailing slcsanitation@SLCgov.com (please include your name, address and phone number).
**Leaf cans are in high demand! If you are done with yours, please call (801) 535-6999 so someone else can use it. Thanks! **
Crisp air, bright colors and falling leaves — fall is in full swing in Salt Lake City!
But what should you do with all of those extra leaves?
- Place them in your curbside compost bin (i.e. tan can) for weekly pick up. Raking weekly should keep your leaves from piling up.
- Try composting your leaves at home with a backyard compost bin, or by mulching them into your grass, flower beds or gardens. Gotta love free soil amendment!
- Request an extra ‘leaves only’ bin.
Starting today, Salt Lake City is offering special ‘leaves only’ bins by request. Here are some quick facts about the program:
- Bins will be provided on a first come, first served basis.
- ‘Leaves only’ bins are provided free of charge and are intended to supplement resident’s curbside compost bin in the event of excess leaves.
- Bins will be collected weekly on your curbside collection day throughout the fall.
To request your ‘leaves only’ bin, call (801) 535-6999 or email SLCgreen@slcgov.com. Please provide your name, address and phone number.
Questions? Let us know!
Our friends at Wasatch Community Gardens invite you to join them for their 3rd Annual Fall Plant Sale and (yum!) Tomato Sandwich Party.
Keep your garden alive! Purchase vegetable starts and seeds that can produce crops into the early winter months.
Both the Fall Plant Sale and Tomato Sandwich Party will take place on Saturday, September 7 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Grateful Tomato Garden (800 S 600 E).
The promise of unique heirloom tomatoes, homemade pesto and fresh, locally made bread is more than enough to get us on board!
More information is available on the Wasatch Community Gardens website.