Next Monday, April 8th the highly anticipated bike share program lands in Salt Lake City! GREENbike stations officially go online in less than a week, and we wanted to give our readers a preview of the program so you can be as excited as we are.
- Program will launch with up to 120 bikes available
- 10 bike share stations are located at key spots in downtown Salt Lake City (see map below)
- Projected to save 77,000 vehicle miles in the first year alone, including 20,000 “cold starts” (a key contributor to poor air quality)
- Designed for short trips in the city by people wearing regular clothes and carrying ordinary stuff (no spandex required!)
- There is a great mobile app available for download at the GREENbikeslc.org website (i.e. Spotcycle).
GREENbike is designed for short, 30 minute trips that get you from point A to point B downtown. Think of it as your “puddle jumper” that will get you from one downtown hot spot to another. For example —
- Take a quick and direct route from the UTA Intermodal Hub to Gallivan Center or Library Square.
- A quick lunch trip for downtown employees (stopping by Squatters, Harmons Grocery or a variety of other restaurants)
- Getting to and from a downtown meeting.
- Hopping from City Creek to The Gateway on a downtown shopping spree.
- And any other short, downtown trip that you can dream up!
A 24-hour Access Pass ($5), 7-day ($15) or Annual Membership ($75) lets you take UNLIMITED 30 minute trips at no extra charge! Every time you dock a bike, you get a fresh 30 minutes. Get on board.
Launch & Party
The public is invited to attend the official GREENbike launch on Monday, April 8th at 10:30 a.m. at the west entrance to Gallivan Center. Join Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker, Salt Lake City Council Member and R.D.A. Chair Stan Penfold and other excited community members. SLCGreen will be there to cover the event too!
A fundraising launch party is scheduled for Tuesday, April 9th from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at Squatters. Tickets are $50, and include all things needed for a very fun night — DJ, open bar, appetizers and a prize drawing for a $1,100 TREK bike at 8 p.m. Join the fun.
GREENbike Fact Sheet (PDF)
GREENbike Map (PDF)