Home Energy Efficiency Tips for Utah Climate Week
It’s Utah Climate Week, which means that there are opportunities statewide to get involved with climate action in Utah.
But taking steps to help the environment can also start at home. Improving at-home energy efficiency will help you shrink your carbon footprint and save money.
Why Energy Efficiency Matters
According to the EPA, around 40% of energy use in the United States is for generating electricity. Salt Lake City is working to move towards net-100% renewable electricity for the entire community by 2030. This means that more renewable energy will be fed into the grid, helping power everything from your lights to your phone chargers. But in the meantime, taking steps to improve your energy efficiency will go a long way to save energy!
SLCgreen’s Household Energy Actions Checklist outlines the ways you can save energy and money by taking small actions.
- For example, switching to a low flow showerhead may seem simple, but it can help you save $18 annually and cut 250 pounds of CO2, not to mention the water savings.
- Using a power strip to avoid energy vampires like phone chargers can help you save $96 per year and cuts 1,200 pounds of CO2!
- And washing your laundry in cold water can save 1,270 pounds of CO2 annually and $92!
Reducing your energy use cuts down on emissions that contribute to global warming as well as local air pollution. As a result, energy conservation and efficiency can help build a healthier and more resilient community.
Resources & Incentives
The financial impacts of energy efficiency are undeniable. Saving energy means saving money. Here are some resources available to help you save.
- Rocky Mountain Power’s WattSmart Kits: Qualifying residents can get a free WattSmart kit with energy efficient LED lightbulbs, a low-flow showerhead, and more from Rocky Mountain Power.
- Rocky Mountain Power At Home Energy Upgrades: Rocky Mountain Power offers resources to home owners, renters, individuals living in manufactured homes, and property managers to save on heating, cooling, weatherization, and more.
- Dominion Energy has many rebates available through their ThermWise program.
- Energy Star Rebate Finder: Find rebates on Energy Star appliances including air conditioners, heat pumps, and more.
Energy Efficiency for Climate Week and Beyond
We can all save energy year-round by opting for energy efficient appliances and remembering to reduce our energy consumption. Utah Climate Week is a reminder that small collective action can make a difference.