The Sustainability Department is Hiring!
Are you passionate about recycling and helping Salt Lake City divert as much waste from the landfill as possible? Do you have management experience?
The Salt Lake City Sustainability Department is hiring a Program Director to head up our Waste & Recycling Division (formerly known as the Sanitation Division).
This position reports directly to the Sustainability Department Director, Vicki Bennett.
We are looking for candidates with operational experience and a broad vision to improve waste diversion including business and residential recycling, hard-to-recycle waste, recycling markets and green waste composting.
Learn more and apply here.
- Plans for and directs operations associated with the delivery of citywide sanitation services, including: curbside refuse, compost and recycling collection; neighborhood cleanup; enforcement and education; and container maintenance programs.
- Develops and implements strategies for aggressively moving the City towards Zero Waste. Designs, implements, and monitors program including the implementation of best management practices, environmental stewardship, operating budgets, performance measures, personnel and equipment maintenance.
- Recommends and initiates process improvements, cost saving measures, operational efficiencies and other program changes necessary to achieve Zero Waste.
- Directs the preparation and necessary adjustments to the program budget, including the support needed for updates and revisions to the annual budget document.
- Monitors and manages budget, resources, and financial transactions. Ensures appropriate processes, procedures, and policies are in place and followed for all financial transactions.
- Analyzes and develops program policies, goals, and objectives to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Creates strategic plans to support the policies, goals and objectives of the program.
- Resolves complex issues involving operations and environmental stewardship.
- Ensures operations comply with City, State and Federal regulations to protect the environment and ensure safe work practices.
- Presents the program’s policies and positions in meetings, negotiations, and communications with the public, citizen and industry groups, Mayor and City Council members, other government agencies, the media and other public forums within assigned area of authority.
- Ensures employee productivity and effective use of resources by coaching, mentoring and training supervisory staff and building an effective team.
- Evaluates and documents performance of program managers and office staff, administers appropriate employee recognition and disciplinary actions.
- Develops technical specifications, project design and standards for procurement bids and proposals related to sanitation.
- Reviews bids and proposals and assists with the selection of contractors.
- Ensures contractor performance.
- Plays key roll establishing disaster and emergency preparedness program.
- Represents the department in public meetings and/or on various committees as directed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
For more information please refer to the job posting at www.slcgov.com/jobs.