JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Natural Lands Outreach and Education Specialist
Salt Lake City’s Open Space Lands Program seeks a highly motivated individual with background in environmental education and/or youth and outdoor leadership, to develop and administer outreach and education activities that connect diverse communities to urban natural lands.
The position is an individual placement Americorps Member position through the Utah Conservation Corps (UCC) – www.usu/edu/ucc/. The individual must complete 1,700 hours of service; the position requires 30-40 hours of service work per week and terminates no later than December 31, 2017. Salt Lake City is accepting applications through November 18, 2016, and will interview candidates and hire for the position in early December 2016. Job duties will begin approximately December 31, 2016.
Living Allowance: $12,530 total (divided into monthly payments)
Education Award: $5,775 (For payment of student loans or future educational expenses.)
Other: Health insurance, workers comp coverage, childcare for qualified members, eligible for deferment of student loan payments and interest accrual payment during AmeriCorps term, Environmental Educator certification through USU, and excellent job experience and networking opportunities.
AmeriCorps Member (“AM”) will work with Salt Lake City staff, community leaders, institutional and citizen partners, and others to grow public engagement in the open space program. AmeriCorps Member will:
- Lead a team of city staff to plan for and implement the Salt Lake City River Fest in September, 2017.
- Plan and implement monthly public engagement activities in Salt Lake City natural lands.
- Provide field support for volunteer stewardship events.
- Assist in the implementation of SLC’s citizen science program, Neighborhood Naturalist 2017.
- Assistance with the scheduling, promotion and implementation of sponsored outdoor recreation activities.
- Provide grant writing assistance to support outreach programs, where opportunities are present.
1) Enthusiastic, outgoing, motivated individual with the ability to work independently
2) Comfortable speaking publicly and working with & directing large groups
3) Ability to learn quickly and share skills and knowledge with diverse populations
4) US Citizen or Permanent Resident
5) At least age 18 by start of placement term
6) Minimum high school diploma or equivalent
7) Must undergo and pass a National Criminal History check and drug screen
8) Eligible to serve in an Americorps State/National term
Email resume and cover letter to Lewis at email@example.com no later than November 18, 2016.