Fix a Leak Week
This week marks national Fix a Leak Week sponsored by the U.S. EPA’s WaterSense partnership program. Nationwide, more than 1 trillion (yes, trillion with a T) gallons of water leak from U.S. homes each year. WaterSense’s Fix a Leak Week serves as a reminder to Americans to check their plumbing fixtures and irrigation systems. With a little effort you’ll conserve one of our most important natural resources – and some money too!
Here are three things you can do this week to be water-wise:
- Check toilets for silent leaks by putting a few drops of food coloring in the tank and seeing if the color appears in the bowl before you flush.
- Twist and tighten pipe connections. To save even more water, twist in a WaterSense labeled faucet aerator or shower head.
- Replace fixtures as needed. Look for the WaterSense label when replacing plumbing fixtures, as these will save water and perform well.
There are some great virtual events and resources in conjunction with Fix a Leak Week:
- Take the Pledge! It’s as easy as 1-2-3.
- Stop by the EPA WaterSense Facebook and Twitter pages. Use the #fixaleak hashtag and join in the Twitter party today (Monday) at 11 a.m.!
- Check out the Fix a Leak Week video podcast.
- Learn how to fix a leak at home. En Español.
- Have some fun in Flo’s Kid Zone.